Delights of the Calabrian tradition
Pasta with meatballs with sauce
What distinguishes the Italian people abroad are certainly (and par excellence) the gastronomic delicacies that belong to us. The excellence of Made in Italy is also represented in its regional variants, which have always been handed down from generation to generation for centuries with their traditional peculiarities. Our region, Calabria, is imbued with multiple delights that, from north to south and from one coast to another, change flavors and colors in a multifaceted way. The specialties that you can taste coming to stay on the Riviera dei Gelsomini (where the Parco dei Principi Hotel was born) are innumerable, and through the various articles that we will publish we will show you that in addition to the sun and the sea, the culture and friendliness of its inhabitants , you will be delighted by the culinary specialties. The Calabrian tradition (like the Italian one in general) puts on the podium of the best known recipes and appreciate that of the “pasta with meatballs in sauce”, or also known outside the national borders as “Spaghetti meatballs”.
* Of course, we are a 5-star hotel resort, and as paradoxical as the interest in such a traditional recipe despite our internal specialties based on fresh fish, we are interested in intriguing and educating the reader on what diving entails in the culture that they will get to know by staying here at the Parco dei Principi Hotel, and that with great pride we would like to convey to the whole world.
The strictly homemade pasta, first choice meat and tomatoes of local origin… these are the 3 secrets that will make the perfect dish.
300 gr of flour
150 gr of water (the amount of water in the recipe is indicative because it depends on the type of flour)
2 tablespoons of Calabrian extra virgin olive oil.
1.Pour the flour and add a part of the water;
2.Work the dough and then add more water and finally the extra virgin olive oil;
3.Let the dough rest for 30 minutes covered;
4. Divide the dough into many strips then cut into small pieces;
5.Work the dough into sheets, close it in 3 equal parts and cut it thinly with a knife until it gives the right shape.
200 gr ground veal;
200 gr pork sausage;
1 clove of garlic;
1 spoonful of chopped parsley;
200 gr of breadcrumbs;
150 gr of grated pecorino cheese;
Salt to taste.
Extra virgin olive oil.
- In a bowl, work the minced veal with the minced pork sausage;
- Combine chopped eggs, parsley and garlic, pecorino cheese and breadcrumbs;
- Combine all the ingredients and let the dough rest for half an hour and then form the meatballs;
- Fry the meatballs in abundant extra virgin olive oil.
Ingredients for the sauce:
2 liters of tomato sauce;
1 Tropea onion;
Extra virgin olive oil to taste;
Chili pepper (or ‘Nduja).
- Chop the Tropea onion and brown it in a saucepan with the extra virgin olive oil;
- Add the tomato sauce and cook on a low heat for about half an hour (adding the chilli pepper or a spoonful of Calabrian ‘nduja to taste);
- Finally add the meatballs and cook for another hour;
- Cook the pasta in abundant salted water;
- Season the pasta with the meatball sauce and serve with a sprinkling of pecorino or Calabrian salted ricotta.